Tuesday, May 29, 2012

COLLECTION #240: Vintage Indian Toys


Going hand in hand with my cowboy toys, here come the Indians! Back when I was a child, playing 'cowboys and Indians' was just a part of childhood. Some kids thought cowboys were best, other kids thought the Indians were the true heroes. I loved reading about Indians. My brother had the Holling C. Holling book called The Book of Indians, with beautiful, detailed illustrations about different native peoples, cultures and traditions. That book was probably my first introduction to the amazing culture of the native American people.


My favorite Indian figure... look at that face!

Here are my Indian toys and books, plus a few extra treasures. Most of these items date from the 1940s and '50s.  The dolls are all 'souvenir dolls', so don't have any manufacturer information. They were sold in vast numbers 50+ years ago, and are quite easy to find. I love these! I had my own Indian maiden doll that I bought in Bend, Oregon when I was 9 or 10.  She looked a lot like the one I have here with the white dress, but mine was *prettier*!

Papoose toy, with Western incense package

Chalkware Indian head

I had an Indian maiden doll similar to the one pictured here on the left.

Although such portrayals of native peoples is politically incorrect these days, I think they are wonderful. These stories, toys and objects taught be to have a great deal of respect and admiration for a proud people.

Cute li'l Indian kids



No comments: