Tuesday, May 8, 2012

COLLECTION #225: Souvenir Dolls

Souvenir dolls have been popular collectibles for decades. Inexpensive to produce, inexpensive to buy, these dolls often represent a specific location, ethnicity, or culture. Generally speaking, souvenir dolls have intricate outfits, and occasionally elaborate accessories, but these are usually permanently attached. When I was a little girl, we went on a trip to Oregon. We stayed in Bend, Oregon, not far from Crater Lake. My Mom bought me a pretty Indian souvenir doll. I can still remember her soft white leather dress with beads decorating it, and her little tiny moccasins. Her hair was in 2 black braids, and I named her "Morning Star". Although I have a similar doll in my collection today, it's not the same doll, and is not nearly as beautiful or well-made as mine was.


Here are my fun souvenir dolls: they range from 4 Indian dolls, 5 Mexican dolls,  one Korean doll,  and several dolls of undetermined origin. I can guess, but I don't know for sure.  They range from the 1940s to the 1990s- both the Korean and the wooden native doll are more recent.











No comments: