Wednesday, March 28, 2012

COLLECTION #195: Barbie


This is my one and only Barbie. I don't mean my only Barbie, but my only original Barbie.  To be more specific, this is my own childhood Barbie. On Orphan Wednesday, I thought it would be appropriate to share one of my most special treasures, the Barbie that I got in 1961. She's one of the original 'bubble cut' Barbies, which came in the black & white striped swimsuit. Of course, I don't have any of the original clothing or accessories, but just the fact that I have her is special enough for me.  My best friend Davney got her ponytail Barbie at least a year before I got mine. We were a little older than children are today who play with Barbie. Actually, we were what would be considered 'tweens' today- 10, 11 years old. Perhaps that's why I still have her. I was old enough to take good care of her, not cut her hair, draw on her arms, or let my brother pull off her legs. (Ok, my brother did leave his subtle mark on her, but that's for another discussion). Davney and I loved our Barbies, but we only had one each. Little girls back then didn't have a dozen Barbies lying around naked in the bottom of a toy box. We dressed them carefully, displayed them lovingly, and took good care of them. I don't remember anyone who had more than one Barbie. (By the time Barbie's friends and cousins came out, we had outgrown dolls). Ken was not popular with my gang.


I keep her on display in my glassed-in display cabinet, and she has the place of honor on the shelf. I've fancied her up with an authentic Barbie Silken Flame dress, authentic purse, shoes, earrings, and necklace, and a replacement belt and sunglasses.  Isn't she awesome?



2 comments:

Barbara Sindlinger said...

Does her hair actually have a touch of gray or is that just the lighting. I don't know if I've ever seen a short haired Barbie (that wasn't cut by me or a friend).

Stefanie Eskander said...

Nope, she just has really shiny, coarse nearly black hair. The bubble-cut Barbies slowly replaced the ponytail Barbies in the early '60s, probably due to the popularity of Jackie Kennedy, who had beautiful bouffant hair, and a classy style.