Wednesday, March 21, 2012

COLLECTION #190: Vintage Singer Puzzle Box


It's Orphan Wednesday! Today's fun item is a Singer Puzzle Box sewing machine accessory holder. This little box has such an interesting, innovative design, that it has the patent information right on the top.

I was able to find quite a bit of information online about this box. In fact, Wikipedia even has a page about it, showing photos of many of the attachments and what they do! You can find it here.



I also found a blog that gives some additional details about these sewing boxes, but I am still unable to find out exactly how old my box is. I assume it was included with my sewing machine (which you can read about here), so that would make it from 1890 or 1891. I'll have to research further.



If I find out any additional information about my particular box, I'll come back and edit this post. I hope you enjoy my wonderful little box!

4 comments:

Barbara Sindlinger said...

great box of sewing history1

stormi said...

wow! Can I send you a picture of how all of the pieces go together?

They're stunning when put together and someone opens it for the first time.

Not to mention that the felt doesn't get damaged with the movement of all of the tools when they're placed right.

Judy McCoid said...

I have a puzzle box with many accessories but they are all mixed up. I am trying to place them properly, matching them with pictures, but I have not been completely successful. Do you have any more pictures? Thank you,
Judy

Stefanie Eskander said...

If you Google Singer Puzzle Box, you will find some old diagrams of how the different pieces fit together. I don't have that bookmarked anymore.
Good luck!