Monday, December 5, 2011

COLLECTION #112: Vintage Christmas Magazines

I love old magazines... it doesn't matter if they are from the 1920s or 1970s, they are so rich in history, popular culture, art and design. In my magazine stash are quite a number of December or holiday issues... I have them from every decade but the 1930s. (That's sad, because I LOVE the 1930s!)  Included in my collection are three December issues of the Children's Friend- a publication of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints from the early 1900s until 1970. I have lots of Children's Friends- my earliest one is from 1915. I love the sweet cover of the 1944 issue... you gotta love the wholesome children's faces, so happy and innocent. I also have the 1954 and 1958 issues.

The WWII era Boy's Life Magazine was published right after the war, but still has the flavor of the war, with a great military presence in its articles and ads.

Coronet Magazine from 1954

Better Homes & Garden from 1963, Good Housekeeping from 1970
Illustration from Coronet

Yummy treat & fabulous lighting from Good Housekeeping

Fabulous non-traditional Christmas colors, and oh-so-modern decor from 1963. Just like Mad Men!
I think this is where I get my advertising design sense... fabulous classic ad from 1963

I have a few women's magazines of the '50s, '60s and '70s: Coronet, Better Homes and Gardens, and Good Housekeeping. It's really fun to see the articles, and especially the crafts, food and home decorating ideas from the past. Awesome photos and illustrations!

My copy of Nature Magazine is the December 1924 issue, and I love the cool graphics and wonderful magazine layout and design.  There are lots of interesting articles about Christmas trees and plants, and winter activities. There's even an article about wooden toys!
An article in Nature Magazine, and the answer was "NO!"
Great Lincoln Logs ad from 1924

The last magazine in my collection, is a yearly publication from the early 1960s, called Christmas: An American Annual of Literature and Art. It's exquisitely designed, with amazing artwork and stories. Christmas was published annually by the Augsburg Publishing Co. in Minneapolis from 1931 until the 1980s.




No comments: