Tuesday, August 23, 2011

COLLECTION #38: Raggedy Ann & Andy



Who doesn't love Raggedy Ann & Andy? Their sweet faces and charming clothing & personalities have amused and entertained children and adults for nearly 100 years.  Created by author and artist Johnny Gruelle for his young daughter Marcella (who tragically died at the age of 13 as a result of a smallpox vaccination), Mr. Gruelle originally painted the face on a handmade rag doll, and a legend was born.  He applied for a patent for the doll in 1915, and in 1918 wrote the first book, Raggedy Ann Stories.


I don't have any really old Raggedy Ann or Andy dolls. Mine date from the Knickerbocker years 1963-82, with a few later Applause dolls thrown in. I do love the cute little Raggedy Ann marionette which is on the right side of my doll grouping.


I have six books, including two editions of Raggedy Andy stories,  one with the dust jacket. These were originally copyright 1920, but I have no idea if either of them is valuable. They aren't in mint condition, but are precious to me!  The illustrations are so charming!



The Marcella: A Raggedy Ann Story was dedicated to the memory of his beloved daughter Marcella.



This cute little Raggedy Ann & Andy toy is a reproduction Fisher-Price toy released for Toy Fest in 1997.  The original F-P toy was produced in 1941. It's my very favorite part of my Raggedy Ann collection!

1 comment:

Robin said...

I was working at Northeast when Lisa was born, and one of my colleagues was making lifesized Raggedy Ann dolls, so I bought one for her....not sure how I ended up with her, but it was the only doll I ever wanted as a child. I also have Alison's, which is at least 60 years old, and an original book. I was just looking through it....how much more beautiful the images are in writing about being kind and good....than the trash they churn out for kids today. I syill have most of the books I loved as a child, and re-read them now and again.....a good book is always a good book.